A few saturdays ago the boys and I decided to go to the Arizona Science Center via the Metro Light rail. (Because I had free passes, and boys like trains).
The light rail took 55 minutes for what would have taken 15 by car. But I'm glad we took it- if only to dispel my delusion that Phoenix has an efficient mass transit system. I will also be better prepared with questions next time it comes up for a vote. Questions like, What about the light rail is light? Are we the only city that put ours in the middle of major thoroughfares so that it stops at stations AND red lights? And besides the track, how is the so-called light rail different than a bus? But I digress.
We finally made it to the science center, and were having a mind-numbingly educational time when I lost Jack. I left him at an interactive computer exhibit to take the younger boys to the bathroom. I thought this was a pretty safe plan, since prying him away from computers usually requires highly sophisticated methods of persuasion.
When I came back from taking the little boys to the bathroom and discovered the empty computer terminal, I wondered if I should panic. Before I could decide, I heard my name being paged. Yep, he knew exactly what to do. Though not from listening to me, apparently- the whole "Stay here while we I take your brothers to the bathroom" conversation had escaped him completely.
Then it was Luke's turn to get lost. My mistake this time was in telling Jack and Luke that we could move on to a new exhibit without taking into account the fact Cole would not be in favor of this decision since the exhibit we were leaving involved balls.
When I finally tore Cole away from the balls, Luke was gone. With 3 floors and a billion places to hide, I didn't even know where to start. I wandered frantically, trying unsuccessfully to get the attention of an employee or anyone who could help. The more I looked the more I knew I wasn't going to find him on my own. So I prayed.
A minute later, I looked down onto a lower level and got a glimpse of two little tan legs sticking out of some familiar blue sneakers. The whole place looked our way when I yelled, "STAY RIGHT THERE! I'M COMING TO GET YOU!"
I found him and hugged him. "What happenned, Luke?" I asked.
"I didn't know where myself was, and I didn't know what I was doing," he said. "I just went down the stairs and there I was."
I knew that feeling, alright. I also knew that right about then seemed like a good time to go home.
3 comments:
Just wondering ... does this qualify as a good trip or a never-again trip in your book? I know what my answer would be, but I gotta ask. =)
I think it's a think-very-carefully and let-plenty-of -time-go-by-before-trying-it-again trip. :)
I say next time take Nana along! heehee! We could all get lost together! I love..love...Luke's explanations!
You are a great mom Tiffany!
Post a Comment