Saturday, August 7, 2010

Oxen Here

Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox. -Proverbs 14:4

My house is dirty. Right now the floor is sticky because some child tried to pour his own gatorade. Every wall or cabinet under 3 feet needs to be wiped down. My carpets need to be cleaned- no, replaced. Each room has broken things waiting to be fixed. There is clutter - and I hate clutter. Every drawer and closet needs organizing, which occurs to me each time I open them. I have piles. (If I didn't show up at your party it's because the invitation got buried on my desk - very sorry.) Which makes me wonder about the people who say they don't have piles. This seriously keeps me up at night. HOW DO YOU NOT HAVE PILES? DO YOU EVER GO PLACES? And the whole "only handle papers once" rule? Right. Again, a source of great consternation.


So how does my family feel about this state of affairs? They don't care. At all.

And deep, deep, deeper down, in a place I can't always access, I don't either. Because I don't want to live for houses and things. Because dirt is only on the surface and I want to live in my family's hearts. Instead of being embarrassed, I want to view the mess as a badge of honor. "Hi, come in! See how busy we've been today?"


Day after day, I give it my all to order our chaos, to train my kids to be disciplined, and to provide an environment that's clean enough to facilitate their health and creativity and peace. But beyond that, it's just ok. If my house were clean, it would be because there were no children. If there were no children, neither would there be the hope of future laborers for Christ.


Thank you Lord for children, and help me remember eternity every time my shoe sticks to the floor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter- yes sometimes your house is dirty but your family is happy, well fed and your father and I always feel welcome. These messy years will soon pass and you will be able to be your organized self in your old age. I wouldn't wish for you to be any different because you have found the real treasure. I love you

Deborah Geesling said...

Gosh, I love this! So true.

Charlotte said...

When your children are grown they will not remember whether your house was clean or not. They will however remember the fun and the life shared there. All too soon your house will be clean and quiet and you will wish for these years again! You are doing a wonderful job and I am proud to be your mother-in-law and Nana to your children!!

Rebekah said...

I was particularly encouraged by what you said about giving it your all to order the chaos, discipline the kids and provide an environment that is clean enough to encourage their creativity and peace. I think that's exactly what we're supposed to do, and all we CAN do! And as you can see, the women around you see how happy your children are ... even from way over here in SF, I know you are doing a GREAT job, Tiff. Thank you for reminding me what's important.

Andrea said...

mmmm so good, tiffany. great perspective. can you email me this blog post in a couple years when i have multiple kids (Lord willing) and am freaking out over all the clutter and sticky floors (i too, hate clutter)? thanks.

i remember when i would go over to chris & tara's to babysit and she would apologize for the state of the house. i would always laugh and say, "tara, your house looks lived in. why would i expect it to look any other way?"