Summer victory number two: Luke learned to swim!

If you asked Luke what he thought of swim lessons, he would tell you he hated them. But don't believe him, because there's a perpetual smile on his face when he's in the water. And even more so once those lessons clicked and he started moving forward in the water like a convulsing inchworm. With his long and lean physique it wouldn't surprise me if swimming is in his future. (Or perhaps I am unduly impressed with the fact that he is the only one of our kids with the ability to tan).
If you know me, you know that water and children stress me out. (In a lop-sided way, to be honest: I should probably give a little more caution to other areas of danger, say, the street. But water-phobia is my thing.) So I don't need to explain what a relief this new ratio of swimmers to non-swimmers is. When the majority of kids you take to the pool rely on you for survival, it's a little hairy. An even 50/50 is more doable -- except that keeping my eye on Luke at the community pool is actually harder now, what with him running and jumping in from every-which-end and resurfacing who-knows-where.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we're just a few strokes closer to the day I get to bring a book to the pool. Won't that be something?
1 comment:
I had the same phobia if you remember.
This is one very handsome child.
Post a Comment