Dear Jack,
I know you read this blog, so this one's for you. Since you are about to turn 8, I am thinking over the past year.
My favorite memories are your favorite things: word searches, crossword puzzles, Sudoku. Lego Batman, Lego Indiana Jones, and Lego Star Wars. Percy Jackson, Fellowship of the Rings, Half Magic, Alex Rider. And a few we bribed you into: Endurance, Little Pilgrim's Progress, George Mueller, Eric Liddell.
Quiet moments together while the younger boys napped: Laughing at Phantom Tollbooth ("Are you the fattest thin man in the world?"), crying (me) at The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane ("I have learned how to love. And it's a terrible thing... My heart is broken"), and marveling at a boy's determination in Where the Red Fern Grows ("Now it's up to me to do my part, and I'm going to Papa. I'm going to cut it down. I don't care if it takes me a year").
Trying to find a new ethnic restaurant whenever we get to go to lunch. Camping for the first time with Dad. Silly bands. Disneyland. Ringtones. "Jack's Faves" playlist. Your favorite song, "Whispers in the Dark" (Truth is, Dad and I were relieved that the CD malfunctioned when it was your turn to share at school). Your friends, Marshall and Caleb and Robby. Opening my calendar and finding events you have added, like "Sleepover with Marshall." Checking the forecast first thing each morning. Never getting cold or wanting a jacket. First year of baseball. Falling and chipping your tooth. Trip to the ER with hives. Repurposing the neighbors bulk trash.

When we told you we were going to adopt a baby girl, you asked if you could pray for a boy. Now, you tell me almost daily that you're so grateful we got Cora, because no other babies are as happy or cute as her.
When Reese was born, I went to the Mixer's house in the middle of the night to stay with their kids. The next morning, without waking Dad, you gave Cora a bottle ("8 ounces, 4 scoops - I've seen you do it"), changed her diaper, gave her a bath ("just an inch of water, Mom, I knew you would worry"), and fixed breakfast for Luke and Cole.
My top 5 quotes, which will be funny to you someday:
- At the end of 1st grade: "Pretty much every mom got a gift for being a great class helper this year... except you."
- After I inform you that we were selected to participate in an experiment where ASU puts a weather station in our backyard: "That's great. But next time could you sign up for one involving a time machine?
- To Dad: "I guess mom's a better driver than you since she's been to driving school all those times."
- After I hurt myself: "Good thing you grew up in Mexico. That's a tough country!"
- Flipping through your first Bible: "Where do I go to find the action?"
I hope you know this, but Dad and I think you are one amazing kid. Since we held you for the first time eight years ago, we have never stopped thanking God for you. And for the next eight, our prayer and deepest desire is that God would "give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him" (Ephesians 1:16).
Happy Birthday!
Love,
Mom
5 comments:
Happy Birthday Jack! Grandad and I were there when your mom and dad held you that first time and we were so happy!! You are our first grandchild and we were all so excited! You truly are one amazing kid and we love you so much and we are so very proud of you! We love being with you and talking to you. Happy 8th birthday "Jack man!"
We love you!
Nana and Grandad
Hey Jack!
Wow! Eight years old already. It does not seem that long ago when I found out I was going to be a Great
Grandmother for the FIRST time!! I was so excited and boy are you one of the best great grandchildren that I can imagine having. I hope you have a wonderful birthday, and doing some of your favorite things.
I'll be coming to Arizona soon and am looking forward to being able to spend some time with you. Meantime,
ENJOY YOUR BIRTHDAY!
P.S. Asher,Jeanne, Curtis, Mitch, Terri and I drove to the Jemez mountains today. It was snowy and beautiful and we all went for a horsedrawn sleigh ride, stopped afterward for a huge burger. It was a lot of fun.
Love you bunches, GG
Happy Birthday Jack! Oh, how we remember the joyous day that was and how we all rejoiced!
I couldn't agree more with you Charlotte. I remember praying all morning that it would all go through and the 4 anxious grandparents sitting in your van waiting for Tiffany and Rich so we could go in and see our first grandchild. Many tears came as we all saw you for the first time and fell in love with you. You are a very special person with very unique giftings, but most of all I just love you. Sending you some extra tight hugs today. Someday you will like them more than you do now!
Love, Yaya
Post a Comment