Thursday, December 9, 2010

Prepared

16 days to Christmas I'm starting to realize that I probably won't get it all done. The string of lights that went out on the tree just might not get replaced, those labor of love cinnamon rolls might not get baked, the guest room might not get cleared out, and I will probably run out of money before I reach the end of my gift list.


This stress is relieved by remembering that God is perfectly prepared. "All God's gifts," Charles Spurgeon says, "are prepared gifts laid away to meet wants He has forseen." Our Ultimate Giver, Host, and Father accomplishes everything. He has never missed a deadline, had to re-prioritize, run short of money, or forgotten a detail.

Looks like I won't be able to create Christmas nirvana for myself or my family. But maybe my limitations will remind me of the whole point: that in this season, as in the state of my soul, I need Christ. And before I even knew I needed him, he had been born, crucified, and raised -- for me.

'Twill be a merry Christmas indeed.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Precious, Precious Granddaughter,
What a beautiful posting. Do you even know how absolutely wonderful you are and what a blessing you have always been to this family? Your house could be bare of decorations, your cupboards could be empty, but this will be the BEST CHRISTMAS I've had in years!
Having the family together and knowing that all of them are believers? Only you care if the house is clean or the cookies are baked! Those four little blessings would take care of that in minutes anyway. Just have plenty of presents for them. There will be plenty of love there, really, what more could we want? Gramma