Friday, May 27, 2011

Volcation

Cole dubbed this year's summer trip "Volcation," a misspeak which I am sure is due to the fact that the majority of his brother Luke's conversational energy is spent on the topic of volcanoes. ("I am so not into dinosaurs anymore. I am interested in volcanoes," he announced at our last trip to the library.) Fortunately, the only volcanoes we encountered in Rocky Point were made out of sand.

The trip also involved crossing the Mexican border, which Luke referred to as "crossing the board." It's going to be so dull when everyone learns proper phraseology and vocabulary.

I'd say it was our best vacation to date, measured mainly by the fact that we weren't more exhausted when it was over. It was a blast sharing a casa with other families. One room had three triple bunks, so even with six boys stacked in, there were beds to spare. The only bummer is that we had to go before it got too hot there, so vacation was over before school was even out. I already need to relive some of the highlights.

First, there was the packing. How to fit all this in the back of a mini-van? Not my problem. But I was impressed that it happened.

Upon arriving, priority one was getting the beach-do:

Beauty hurts. She understands this.

I was also suckered into buying her a baby ring from a beach vendor. Isn't that just too much?

Next thing you know, everyone wanted to pose with the beach princess.

I know Mom, my other kids are cute too.


The Three Musketeers: Cole and Luke with Ryan, their mutual best friend

In Luke's imaginary life, he is a tortoise who crawled into the backyard of a couple who wanted children. The food was good, so he decided to stay. So this necklace was perfect for him.

Cole and Jack just got their fill of mangoes. (If anyone ever tries to sell you a chili-lime mango cut like a flower, buy it).

Our mechanic friend created this:

And this, for Luke.

There was a sandbox off the back patio of our casa, in case you didn't want to walk 20 feet to the beach.

The kids spent most of their time searching for sea life. Squids and crabs were under most every rock.

Rich and Trey after a long swim in the Sea of Cortez.

Besides sand and swimming and sea-life, there were banana boat rides, quad rides, jet-skis, water-slides, and fishing.




And did I mention that Cora's hair was really cute?

♪ "Oh, Mexico... It sounds so simple I just got to go...."

1 comment:

kaylynn said...

Looks like you had a nice fun volcation. Cora definitely did look like a happy beach princess especially with her grandparents. Too much fun for the boys. Thanks for sharing the post- mom