Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sandbox Theology

And the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls playing in the streets. -Zechariah 8:5

Andree Seu, one of my favorite writers, pointed out that this verse is what God gave us when he wanted to paint a picture of the perfect bliss of the new earth (World Magazine, March 12, 2011).

While the thought of children playing in the streets is a bit of a panicky one for me, perhaps something like the sandbox would be more in line with the prophet's intent. (Either that or he is indicating that there won't be any cars in heaven, but something tells me my pastor-husband would not approve of that exegesis).

Even in heaven, I think jack will still be sitting back giving work orders.
The image of children playing in the streets appeals because it portrays the world as innocent, joyful, harmonious, safe, creative, and carefree. When I observe such moments in my children, I am like David, arrested before the miracle: "Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity" (Psalm 133:1).

But like a butterfly that lights for a second and wings away, these experiences are fleeting; we are fallen. Sin is rampant in the sandbox: someone will cry, another will blame, and another will get sand in their hair. And I will brush it out, with each stroke longing more for heaven, where Zechariah's vision becomes our permanent reality.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Tiffany,

Beautiful!!!! I hope I live to read your first book!

Your family is delightful, and I so enjoyed my visit with
everyone again and your wonderful cooking and hospitality. You always make me feel so welcome.

Thanks, Gramma I love you all.